Explore Your World

Friday, August 22, 2008

Foundations Day 2

I just finished up my second day of Foundations at the Potomac Crossfit. It wasn't as intense for me as day 1, primarily because I rested a lot of the weight on my hands during the front squat, forcing me to reduce the weight given the pain. Lesson learned. I limped past the finish line at 12 minutes 45 seconds. Looking forward to the next round!

My Paleo/high-raw diet is going pretty well now, although I am considering going back to a raw vegan or high-raw vegan as I'm about 3/4 of the way through the China Study by Dr. Campbell. He's a Cornell prof who's spent over three decades studying nutrition as it relates to diseases, primarily cancer, but also heart disease, auto-immune disorders, and others. The book makes me want to switch back to 100% whole foods, plant-based nutrition. In order to get closer to that goal, I'm simply scaling back my meat intake on the Paleo diet significantly. I think a combination of CrossFit and a mostly raw vegan Paleolithic diet should lead to an interesting result set. We shall see!

At the end of today's CrossFit workout we got into a discussion about nutrition, and what I picked up was that very few of the people in the room had an idea about optimal nutrition. Why should they? Only crazy folks like me who've spent two years reading everything on the subject should know this much, and few people can rant about why dairy is so horrible for you.

Oh yes, so here's the very condensed advice from the China Study:
  • No animal products
Less condensed rules are:
  • Never ever ever ever have dairy. Very bad. Anything from a cow, just let it be.
  • Have a whole foods, plant-based diet. This does not include potato chips or French fries.
Why?
  • Dairy is one of the worst possible sources of nutrition on the planet for humans. Casein, which provides 87% of the protein in bovine dairy products, can actually be used to turn cancer on and off in laboratory rats. Basically no matter what other conditions, including environmental, it all comes down to what you put in your mouth.
  • You don't need nearly as much protein as they would make you think you do.
  • The food pyramid is a joke.
  • Animal protein leads to cancer, heart disease, and other bad times on boats.
  • Heart attack survivors who went on whole foods, plant-based diets survived decades versus those who continued on their standard fare, of which 100% were dead within 7 years.
  • Did I say dairy was bad yet?
Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home