Explore Your World

Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Top Three Gripes with my iPhone

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4. It is the third iPhone I have purchased in three years, and I suspect I'll buy whatever Apple offers next year. (please, please, please: Verizon iPhone!) I use my iPhone every day, countless times. I have three major gripes with my iPhone:
  1. AT&T: any other options would be great, especially Verizon. I'm in New Zealand right now, where all iPhones come unlocked and you can use any network you want. It is literally illegal to only offer a phone on one network.
  2. No tethering: You can't find any apps in the App Store that offer tethering, as Apple will not allow them, and if you want to tether to your machine via USB or Bluetooth, you have to pay an additional $30/month. No wifi option, no wifi hub. You're already paying for that data, why the hell does it matter where it comes from? (for the real reason, see gripe #1)
  3. No lock screen extensibility: This one really angers me. Everyone who has an iPhone has the exact same lock screen, but this is ripe for customizing. We are all trying to track items on our to-do lists, or watch our caloric intake, or remember to do insert whatever every day. Imagine a customized lock screen with your top Things/RTM/etc. to-do items at the top? And below that, you're trying to restrict calories to 1,700/day with "Lose It!" and a little meter shows how many calories you have left for that day? And below that, you see your daily reminders to get 10 minutes of direct sunlight and to meditate for 10 minutes. In our noisy day-to-day lives, we forget about these things and have to come up with novel ways to remind ourselves. I unlock my iPhone probably 30-40 times/day, and having this information shown to me at all times would, I think, be a massive time save. You could even have a section of iTunes that lets you drag around the lock screen widgets, like you can with your apps (but imagine a widget module like Dashboard). Yet Apple has not shown any interest in expanding this area, despite its low overall cost. Then again, we've past three years of iPhoning and still cannot choose custom ringtones for our SMS messages, so why expect Apple to let us customize the lock screen?
I have no interest in going to Android anytime soon. The touch interface just isn't as nice as the iPhone and the apps are plentiful and varied--but buggy. However, I'm really glad they are making such a big dent in the market to keep Apple on its toes. Now with Microsoft entering the game, albeit with a flamboyant show of low status to its entrenched competitors, Apple has another front to defend.

We all benefit ultimately, but Apple should really match the status quo with the above three items.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home