Explore Your World

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is Microsoft's Project Natal the futuristic Xbox from The Island?

I always thought The Island was a great film -- entertaining, original for first time viewers, and who doesn't like seeing Scarlett Johansson running around in a tight white jump suit? When I first saw previews of Project Natal by Microsoft, I was skeptical they could pull off the fully immersive experience that we saw in that movie, where Scarlett and Ewan are battling it out in a futuristic, full-body holographic fighting Xbox. However recent reviews indicate Microsoft did a pretty decent job. I still think they will need to add some additional gloves and feet sensors for super accurate games, but how expensive could those be with modern bluetooth? Besides, Nintendo did this with its Wii MotionPlus and no one seemed to mind.

I'm not a big fan of modern video games since the controllers are so complicated -- two directional crosses, one directional pad, 36 buttons and vibration everywhere. But what could really get me back into games is a fully immersive experience where I have to put on my workout clothes to get into the game. I want to be sweating after playing for an hour, and I don't want to have to spend hours learning the controllers before I can get into it.

Perhaps the next generation of consoles will be that which brings me back? One can hope!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home