Explore Your World

Friday, September 25, 2009

GoWear Fit: Four Days In

I'm a few days into wearing my GoWear Fit life tracker, and here are some points:
  1. For those with Snow Leopard, I found out quickly you're out of luck -- at first, it seems you can't upload data to the web site. This is in fact false; you can do it, but you need to set Safari to run in 32-bit mode (vice its default 64-bit mode). Just go to Finder / Applications, right-click Safari / Get Info, and check the box that says 32-bit mode. Close Safari and relaunch; you should be good to go.
  2. Although I've been wearing the GoWear Fit for approximately 23.5 hours over each 24 hour window, the online measurement for percent time I've worn the device is 0. Additionally, I've taken 0 steps in the last few days. My exercise time is showing 0, which is fine, but it seems I've also been awake 100% of that time as my hours sleep time is showing 0. Perhaps this is something wrong with Mac, or I am wearing the device incorrectly? I've tweaked its position, so let's see how things go.
  3. The one measurement that seems to have any number is calories burned, which is fluctuating between the large window of 2303 and 2304 calories per day. I have a feeling this number is based solely on my age, gender, height, and body weight. The good news is that I'm operating at a solid calorie deficit now, if these numbers are right. I consume approximately 1,800 calories/day now (except on the 7th day, where I consume probably in the ballpark of 3,000-4,000), while burning 2,300 calories at rest. A solid 500 calorie per day deficit should result in a weight loss of approximately 1 pound per week. The good news is that initially this will be even higher, i.e. 8-10 pounds, until I reach a weight of around 190-195 where it levels off. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning first thing, to establish a base point for my weight loss over the previous 9 days since my return from Europe.
  4. The device feels very comfortable -- I usually forget I'm wearing it during the day.
I've sent another message to BodyMedia support and they usually get back within 24 hours, so we'll play it by ear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home